Sacred Heart History

Although Sacred Heart School began its first term in September 1950, its history dates back many more years. Father Bernard Hunt, pastor from 1908 until 1920, wished to build a school, but since a new church was needed, the school had to wait.

During Father M.C. Wendl’s pastorate, a building fund for a school was established in the 1940’s. An additional fund-raising campaign was launched in January 1950. Ground was broken for the building in May 1950 at 217 West 5th Street (directly north of the Clay County Courthouse).  The original school building served many students for almost two decades.  In 1968 after many discussions and of course raising the fund necessary a new school building was completed and occupied for the 1969-1970 school year. As Spencer changed the school needs changed as well.  In 1988, it was decided that Sacred Heart would no longer continue to have seventh and eighth grade classes. However, by 2005 the needs for education and childcare shifted again. Here is a snap-shot of how the school has grown in the most recent years:

2005-2006 School Year includes the addition of a Pre-kindergarten program

2011-2012 Grades 5 and 6 moved into the new classrooms shortly after, allowing Music and Art to once again be held in their own classrooms 

2017 Construction of the Early Childhood Center